[Cialug] Password managers

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Fri May 25 15:26:35 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 08:58:40PM -0400, Todd Walton wrote:
> I like LastPass. It works well for me. What's bugging me lately though is
> the trend of websites breaking their login process over two screens.

> Oh, and another thing! Friggin Evernote has a username *and* password field
> on their homepage, and it always gets me. LastPass fills it in like it
> should and I click, but it's not for login. It's to sign up. It tells me I
> already have an account.

Stories like this make me glad to use a simple CLI password manager
that's not plugged into anything, although I'm glad that browser-enabled
password managers exist.  They're a massive step up from the old ways of
handling passwords.

Something special about password managers is that they offer a huge
increase in security and convenience at the same time, a rare
combination.  If you're reading this and don't yet use one, start
investigating!  You'll kick yourself for not having done it sooner.

Nicolai