[Cialug] Password managers

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Fri May 25 00:58:40 UTC 2018

I like LastPass. It works well for me. What's bugging me lately though is
the trend of websites breaking their login process over two screens.

Google, for example. Some others. You have to put in your email or
username, click, and then it loads a screen where you put your password in.
Most of the time LastPass doesn't see that second screen as containing a
password field. (Though it does with Google, thank goodness, which is the
bulk of my two-screen logging in.)

I believe the reason they're going to two screen logins is because then
they can plugin all sorts of different authentication methods on the second
screen. You find out who's logging in, then load in their method, instead
of having a password field that might not apply to everyone.

Oh, and another thing! Friggin Evernote has a username *and* password field
on their homepage, and it always gets me. LastPass fills it in like it
should and I click, but it's not for login. It's to sign up. It tells me I
already have an account.

To sign *in* you have to click a drop down, then click a link, and then get
the login page. It's completely stupid. I've thought for years that they'd
realize how stupid it is and change it, but they haven't.

--
Todd