[Cialug] Password managers

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu May 24 17:19:31 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 11:43 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2018, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>
> > Personally I like the look of LP4 vs LP3. From what I've seen of
> > BitWardenscreen shots, LP4 and BitWarden don't look all that different.
> >
> Might want to look again - LP4 (at least on FF 60) is a HUGE kludge - new
> tabs instead of popups is the biggest klude I have ever seen!

I don't know for sure, but that may be a security thing. Because of the way
JavaScript works, JS code running in a tab can't really protect itself from
other JS code running in the same tab. LastPass may have switched from
pop-ups to tabs so that more of the LP code can be run isolated from the
original window. That's just speculation on my part, I can't find anything
that really discusses why they switched. Also, that's the way LastPass has
worked on Chrome for a long, long time so they may have switched just so
that the two platforms are consistent.

> BW is MUCH nicer, ... the favicons are small like they should be, .. and,
> most imporantly, the UI is either in the sidebar or a popdown from the
> icon on the toolbar.

This is your own opinion.

> Besides, it's Open Source and premium version is only $10/yr if you need
> Attachments.

Open source isn't a panacea.

https://medium.com/@davis.a.brandon/bitwarden-doesnt-care-about-security-59e2ef87870a

And charging for "premium" features definitely disqualifies a product as
*true* open source *even if you host the software yourself*:

https://help.bitwarden.com/article/licensing-on-premise/

Cost-wise BitWarden isn't that much different from LastPass (I pay for a
LastPass family account), at least not different enough that I want to go
to the trouble of switching.

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.