[Cialug] Mediacom - not Linux related

Justin Richeson neomatrixjr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 16:17:11 UTC 2017

I got a DMCA from MC a while back.  Notably, I believe you only get these
when you've been found HOSTING content not downloading it.  If she's still
getting notices, someone's still sharing it from her connection....  For
me, I was stupid, and wanted to torrent an episode that I didn't get all of
on my TiVo due to a power failure.  I didn't respond or do anything.  The
torrent was shut down as soon as the download finished.  Probably a dumb
idea, but...<rant removed> stupid money gr<rant removed again>.  <le
sigh>.  Definitely watch for MoCA bleed (Ethernet over cable used for the
multi-room tivo setup).  As someone pointed out already I think, devices on
your network over MoCa should show up as wired devices on your
network...watch for even a single device out of place...it wouldn't take
much for someone to set up a MoCA adapter, use you was a "WAN" point and
set up a NAT router behind it and pipe right through you.

That TP-Link device is probably the culprit...if you don't know what it is
it shouldn't be on your network.  It sounds like you're pretty limited as
you've got the crap mediacom modem.  If you have a tivo, even 1 unit, and
it's an apartment with shared coax, here's my suggestion....
1st - Unplug all tivo boxes from coax/cable.  Reboot modem, and look again
for that TP-Link device.  If it's gone, hook the tivos back up and reboot
the modem again, if it comes back, you have a MoCa issue most likely.
2nd - resolution - The main TiVo boxes can create a MoCa network.  If
you're not using it (don't have TiVo minis), find the setting and turn it
off.  REBOOT EVERYTHING. Then see if that device is gone again.  If you DO
use the MoCa network, make sure a proper Point of Entry MoCa filter has
been placed between her apartment and the rest of the building.
3rd - Type up a *dated letter* to mediacom/DMCA response.  Indicate that a
failure on THEIR PART to install said filter allowed unauthorized access to
a private network.  Request a refund for any installation fees and the cost
of the filter (not sure what you'll get).
4th. (optional) - if she's not using the Mediacom phone service (and I
really don't recommend it...Google Voice + ObiHai is mostly free and WAY
better IMHO) DUMP THAT MODEM/ROUTER.  Buy a modem...it'll pay for itself
when you stop paying device lease fees eventually, and get a DD-WRT capable
router.  WAY MORE INSIGHT, REMOTE MANAGEMENT, AND CAPABILITIES!!!