[Cialug] Mediacom - not Linux related

chris rheinherren c.rheinherren at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 16:05:57 UTC 2017

​For these questions:
1. How many devices are supposed to show when you have their Xtreme
service? Oddly, Mediacom can't answer this question.
2. Is it possible to somehow get on the local network by taping into the
cable? Seem unlikely to me.

1) depends on how many rooms have a Tivo device. Those should usually show
as wired. I have a Tivo and a Tivo-mini (2 rooms with Tivo devices) and
they both show up under my wired connections. The xtreme modem will also be
for internet and phone services. Plus wifi generally with home wifi service
provided by Mediacom unless she has her own router where the modem-gateway
will be baselined (or should be). Additional devices should be her
computers, tablets, smart phones that are connected. Nothing else.

2) I would agree that would be highly unlikely.

And just general info too.

Since you stated this was new service, I would definitely check the date of
the DMCA violation. Did it take place before she had service with Mediacom?
If so then the DMCA team will have to do some research to find out who had
the IP before your mom did. ​

I agree with Tom, make sure its a difficult password on WPA2. Also restrict
MAC addresses like Dave said to the MACs of the known devices so nothing
else can connect.

By the base description, it sounds like those 6 other devices are causing
the issue. And a TP-Link device sounds like it's some kind of wifi
extender.