[Cialug] NTFS in hiberhated state

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 19:09:59 UTC 2017

I'm pretty sure the --clear-dirty option is the one you're looking
for. NTFS writes a "dirty" flag to the filesystem when the OS starts
up and clears it when it shuts down correctly. In a state of
hibernation, that flag would be present, thus the need to clear it.
Other than that, the only special thing about a hibernation state is
that a copy of the contents of system RAM and CPU state will exist
somewhere on the drive.

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 11:35 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2017, kristau wrote:
>
>> I believe ntfsfix is the Linux utility you're looking for. Not
>> surewhich package it is part of, but I think it is in the ntfs-3g
>> package?
>>
> I had looked at it in the past, but it seemed more oriented to bad sectors
> and 'dirty' unmount:
>
> Usage: ntfsfix [options] device
>     Attempt to fix an NTFS partition.
>
>     -b, --clear-bad-sectors Clear the bad sector list
>     -d, --clear-dirty       Clear the volume dirty flag
>     -h, --help              Display this help
>     -n, --no-action         Do not write anything
>     -V, --version           Display version information
>

> My concern is that the 'suspend' status might introduce other issues?
>
>         Lee

Tired programmer
Coding late into the night
The core dump follows