[Cialug] Crashplan vs. GC (et al)

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Sun Nov 19 20:03:11 UTC 2017

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 11:33 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> A good friend lost his laptops in a fire, and I will be setting up a new
> one with some sort of cloud backup.
>
> We share some data, so I will put that on our ownCloud instance, but
> looking for recommendations for his personal files:
>
>  > I have seen CrashPlan recommended in the past - still a good
>    option? Can files be sync'd or viewed on other systems?

No, CrashPlan stopped offering a home/residential plan this fall. Even then
I wouldn't have recommended it as a method for synchronizing files between
computers. It was a great backup system though. If this laptop will be
running Windows or Mac I'd recommend BackBlaze as they seem to be the most
cost-effective option right now. Unfortunately they don't have a native
Linux client. There are a number of third party Linux solutions out there
but I'm still evaluating the options.

>  > Is GoogleDrive really secure? He keeps pics on iCloud, so GC might be
>    an option for general stuff;

It's as secure as any cloud offering is.

 > Is purchasing space on iCloud a realistic way to sync files with a PC?

Never used iCloud but I can't imagine that it works well with anything but
Apple products.

 > Other options? He is not very computer-savvy, so need something that
>    won't require a lot of support.

I'd got with BackBlaze for backup and Google Drive for sharing files.

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.