[Cialug] Displays

Justin Richeson neomatrixjr at gmail.com
Mon May 22 18:52:45 UTC 2017

I'm no display guru, but I think it's all of those things...though some of
it may depend on your eyes.  Higher DPI will give you the cleanest,
sharpest picture.  Color quality (% of sRGB/Adobe/etc color space) will
also lend to the quality of the picture displayed.  I'm guessing some of it
is also on the backlight quality/technology used.  Brightness will make
your display more viewable in brighter situations (though I've yet to see
one that works well outside).  Glossy screens will have reflections, but
clearer pictures vs. matte. Contrast ratio gives you better/deeper blacks
(despite brightness).  Also, there's bonded and unbonded displays.  If the
LCD is bonded to the glass, you don't have to worry about odd reflective
issues between the display and the glass.  If the Surfaces and iCrud got
one thing right it was displays.  That all said...It seems like the best
quality displays that are affordable are on our cell phones and tablets.  I
still can't figure out why high quality "monitor" displays are some of the
most expensive accessories available.  If someone's got a bead on good,
CHEAP displays....please clue us in!