[Cialug] Net Neutrality

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Thu May 11 00:52:21 UTC 2017

>From a successful comments campaign I was involved with.

Read for the pattern, ignore the particular campaign details.

*A proven model for an effective comment letter.* The campaign seeking your
support is modeled after the letter submitted to the San Bernardino County
Supervisors encouraging them to deny a permit for the Soda Mountain Solar
Project. It was signed by one author and had 70 scientists as signatories.
Not 70 letters. One effective, well-written letter signed by many. The
permit was denied. Let's learn the useful lessons of others who have been
successful.
Please respect the intent of sharing the SCPS letter with you. Ask your
club to sign onto this letter, don't duplicate it.
*Boilerplate/form letters are unhelpful.* Anyone who uses the SCPS letter
as a boilerplate and then submits it separately will dilute the hard work
that went into crafting it. *All the letters*, including Karol's original
SCPS letter, will effectively negate all the hard work that went into
drafting it. The effectiveness of all the variant form letters will be
likewise diluted. Anyone who does not agree with this opinion should craft
their own original letter.
*If your write your own letter, make it original.* To be clear, we do not
want to discourage anyone or any group/club from submitting individual
letters. A lot of letters is a good thing. Certainly, if someone does not
agree with us that one authority letter with many signatories is not as
effective as many letters, then by all means prepare your own separate
letter *written in your own words* (sorry, changing a few sentences is
still a form letter, and minor variations will undercut the SCPS letter).

So, has anyone heard of a group letter by a LUG or group of LUGs that we
can join as a group?