[Cialug] Hosting

Matt matt at itwannabe.com
Sat Mar 18 16:51:21 CDT 2017

Amazon now has "Lightsail," which is a set-price offering for specific
VPS configurations, but it doesn't come anywhere near the
4C/16GB/200GB/10TB @ $50 pricing of ChicagoVPS.  Their max size seems to
be 2C/8GB/80GB/5TB @ $80.  Linode offers 4C/8GB/96GB/4TB @ $40 or
6C/12GB/192GB/8TB @ $80.

Like Daniel mentioned, Linode is very quick to reply to support tickets,
and they are one of the most mature VPS providers.  They are basically
my first recommendation to anyone who is willing to set up and maintain
a Linux VPS without the need for CPanel or some other pre-configured
server with a web-based control panel for generic web hosting/database
purposes.

-- Matt (N0BOX)

P.S. - If you want to sign up for Linode, I could give you a referral
link.  Unfortunately, I don't see that it would help you out any.  :(  I
know DigitalOcean's referrals give both the referrer and referee account
credits (BTW, I could hook you up with a DO referral link, too ;) ).
Hit me up off-list if you'd like.

P.P.S - Interestingly enough, DigitalOcean recently added Load Balancers
as an option, so they seem to be trying to move into the
"business-class" hosting territory, where before they only really
courted developers who needed cheap VMs that weren't necessarily
particularly reliable.  There is a lot of interesting improvement going
on in DO that is exciting to see, and all while keeping their
historically inexpensive offerings (they just have options for
backups/snapshots/load balancers that are easy to add to your current
services for a fee if you need them).