[Cialug] Mediacom DesMoines

Jared Brees fromj2sitsme at msn.com
Mon Feb 13 21:20:24 CST 2017

I think it's been pretty well-covered here. I have Mediacom residential, and it's dynamic, only because they wouldn't give me a static, though CenturyLink did. Also different, is CenturyLink will let you install your own modem, whereas Mediacom insists on sending out a technician to run line tests.

My IP address (currently, and in my previous experiences with Mediacom,) only changes once in a LONG time, as long at the equipment stays up. Last time it changed was when I replaced my firewall and rebooted the modem a couple times.

I have a dynamic DNS setup to work around this.

Also, random fun fact: ever since I first had a Mediacom connection, I have yet to find a Mediacom connection that can get to "bsd.org" or "www.bsd.org". Something with routing that Tier 2 support blamed on BSD's setup several years ago.

Jared Brees<http://me.relatedtotechnology.org/> - Squirrel Photographer<http://squirrels.relatedtotechnology.org/>