[Cialug] Mediacom DesMoines

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Feb 13 16:16:14 CST 2017

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017, chris rheinherren wrote:

> Mediacom only gives static's to Commercial customers. If it's a residential
> account then they wont be able to have a static IP.

Same deal with Charter here in St. Louis. I did find out something tha
might be beneficial - after you grab a DHCP address for your firewall box
or router, set it as static - been using the same IP for many years.

Also figured out the routing standard for the Charter network - if your IP
is n.n.n.n, the gateway is usually n.n.n.1.

IOW, the Charter network doesn't care that you have a DIFFERENT DHCP
address after reboot/reset, only that you are using a valid one. Could be
the same for Mediacom?

	Lee