[Cialug] Apple datacenter in Waukee

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Thu Aug 24 22:22:36 UTC 2017

One too many zeros. Apple is going to use 200 acres, not 2,000.  2,000 acres would be more than a mile wide by 3 miles long. 160 acres would be half a mile square.

Even so, if 80% of that is used for access roads, parking lots, green space, future expansion, etc. the 20% that's left would be 40 acres or a quarter mile square.  That would have a footprint of over 1.7 million square feet.  You could house quite a few servers and disk drives in that amount of space.  You could get quite a few solar panels on the roof of that building too.

Murray McKee
Systems Support Analyst – Infrastructure Project Support Team
Retail Lending Technology
DESK (515)273-8140 MAC F0022-035
CELL (515)350-8198
MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation."