[Cialug] Email server

Jared Brees fromj2sitsme at msn.com
Sun Apr 30 01:11:15 CDT 2017

Regarding the reverse DNS stuff...

I had CenturyLink Home + Static IP, and now I have Mediacom + Dynamic IP.

I host a single-page static website from home.

When with CL, I pointed www.relatedtotechnology.com<http://www.relatedtotechnology.com> to my IP address. Whenever pinging that IP address, it would auto-resolve to www.relatedtotechnology.com<http://www.relatedtotechnology.com>.

Now that I have Mediacom with a Dynamic IP, I point www.relatedtotechnology.com<http://www.relatedtotechnology.com> to geek-rtt.ddns.net.

So, when pinging my www.relatedtotechnology.com<http://www.relatedtotechnology.com>, it auto-resolves to geek-rtt.ddns.net (as it's just a CNAME), but pinging the IP address gives you 127.2.3.1-client.mchsi.com.

Not sure if the auto-resolve on CL was a result of there actually being a PTR record, or some other phenomenon. Either way, definitely heed the advice others have given on not attempting to do it from home.

Now, for the reason given for doing this in the first place... Google/Microsoft will still track you. Unless you use this email absent any of their services, and never email people using emails with one of these services... you will be tracked.

Also, if you break your email server, it's on you. :-) There comes to mind that a member of InfraGard had to be called by the FBI before he realized his email server was not delivering email. I found the story to be quite amusing.

Jared Brees<http://me.relatedtotechnology.org/> - Squirrel Photographer<http://squirrels.relatedtotechnology.org/>