[Cialug] Landscape of SQL servers

David Michael 1.david.michael at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:49:01 CDT 2016

Percona has some great open source tools for MySQL/MariaDB backups. I think
using their XtraBackup tool you could use a single script to backup
multiple databases on the same server. You could do scheduled incremental
and scheduled backups with it.

https://www.percona.com/doc/percona-xtrabackup/2.4/index.html

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 12:42 PM, Kyle Hamilton <khamil8686 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ok, I will rephrase my question. I'm a nerd with a brain injury from a car
> accident. I did great in school but my social skills need a boost
> sometimes. :) Anyways! ...
>
>   I have many applications running, and each requires a database backend.
> Mainly mariadb and mysql. Currently, we have one massive database filled
> with older information. We are setting up new applications to use their own
> instances of mariadb.
>
>   I'd like to make regular backups of the databases we have out there. Is
> it better for me to write scripts to make backups of all the databases, or
> is there a commercial tool out there that will automagically do this for me?
>

> Thank you,
>
> Kyle
>

> On 10/14/2016 11:46 AM, Dave Hala wrote:
>
>> I think you really need to put that question in context.  Lots of
>> different folks on this list working in very different environments.
>> The trend, at least from my perspective, is moving towards most
>> applications having their own database, with an API that other
>> applications ( also with their own database) talk to.
>>
>> I'm not seeing corruption as a function of a large scale database. In
>> fact, I see more problems with the smaller applications.
>>
>> :) Dave
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Kyle Hamilton <khamil8686 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>    Per my viewpoint, things seem to be transitioning to every application
>>> having it's own little database, or every few apps sharing one database.
>>> The
>>> smaller database seems good for avoiding corruption, and it is just
>>> easier
>>> to just throw one up for use. This is opposed to every application
>>> sharing a
>>> single, massive database.
>>>
>>>    What about backups? Is there a good software to backup an IT landscape
>>> full of multiple databases? Am I correct that things seem to be
>>> transitioning into every application having their own database? I welcome
>>> anyones opinions and suggestions.
>>>

>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Kyle

David Michael