[Cialug] Laptop recommendation

Matt matt at itwannabe.com
Sun Nov 6 00:27:26 CDT 2016

I ended up getting an off-lease Dell Precision M6600, which I love.
It's like they somehow managed to fit an ACTUAL COMPUTER inside of a
laptop case.  It will even play some of my favorite 3D FPS-style games
at good framerates and average-to-high settings (got one with the Nvidia
Quadro 3000M GPU).  It has room for a couple of 2.5" drives plus an
mSATA SSD, and it has 4 DIMM slots. I have run Fedora, Ubuntu, and Arch
on it (while I was trying to decide which I wanted to deal with), and I
was not only able to get all the hardware working, but I also managed to
get bumblebee to handle switching between the Intel and Nvidia GPUs when
I wanted to play a Steam game.

Unfortunately, though, the Precision line of laptops weren't ever meant
to be "mobile" as much as being a workstation that you could fit in a
carry-on.  It weighs a ton and isn't particularly 'aerodynamic', so if
light and pretty are requirements in any way, it's not for you.  I have
run into people with Linux running on the newer M6800, so it seems as
though Dell has been good about choosing Linux-friendly hardware for
this line.  Also, it shares a lot of hardware with the Latitude line, so
you might have decent luck with one of those if you want something a bit
more back-pain-friendly.

Sadly, I don't have the money to give you any advice on new laptops. :(
Good luck in your search!

-- Matt (N0BOX)