[Cialug] Best VM environment

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Wed May 11 11:48:00 CDT 2016

On 2016-05-11 at 11:16:02 L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Thanks for the info, .. in that era, Xen was the stable player; sounds
> like KVM is just as stable now, and there may be some advantages over
> Xen.

For what it is worth, i have a small number of virtual servers running
on Linode's infrastructure. They are in the process of migrating from
Xen to KVM. They strongly encourage new machines to be created on KVM
instead of Xen, and soon will disallow new machines on Xen and start
consolidating Xen VMs onto a smaller number of hypervisors. They've also
come up with a migration process (from Xen to KVM) that is really easy
for the user; it has been reduced to a single button in their web
interface. At Linode, anyway, KVM seems to be the future. Since their
entire business is virtualization, i can assume that they have put quite
a bit of thought into this transition.

At work i administer a number of Citrix XenServers and quite like them
for server virtualization. I also run VirtualBox for desktop
virtualization and can recommend it.

__
Daniel A. Ramaley  |  Server Engineer 2
Information Technology Services (ITS) | Drake University

T: +1 515 271-4540
F: +1 515 271-1938
E: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu