[Cialug] Raspberry Pi 3

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Feb 29 17:49:54 CST 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Justin Richeson <neomatrixjr at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If you ever get this working to control your door I'd be interested in how
> you set it up.  I'm planning to do something similar with some connected
> board (was going to use my C.H.I.P possibly).  I was looking around and I
> found most circuits use a relay, but one just used a transistor I believe.
> I was hoping to do that, but I also can't seem to find good information on
> exactly how to control the opener.  2 wires run to the "button" in the
> garage, but somehow it controls a lock function, the light, and the door.
> I'm not sure what it does to do all that, and I haven't found a good
> resource for info or time to try to sort it out for myself.  I was also
> trying to figure out if there's any way to vamp power off the opener's
> connectors anywhere....  Would be very interested in how you set yours up.

Newer openers might be fancier, but mine just has two contacts that will
trigger the door when shorted.  When I took apart the wired controller for
my door it looks as if I put around 200 ohms of resistance into the circuit
when I short the contacts it will turn on the light rather than open the
door but I haven't had a chance to test.  I'm waiting for a free weekend
when it's a bit warmer to try and hook all this up.

I haven't tested the voltage that's on the contacts, but it's probably low
voltage AC so not very suitable for powering anything else (easily at
least).  The electrical socket that my door opener is plugged into has an
open space so I'm just going to plug my Pi into that.

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

> > [...] one is monitoring the temperature
> > in my detached garage and will eventually control my garage door opener.
> >
> > I did get a Pi3 ordered (MCM limits you to one) but I have no idea when
> > it'll ship.
> >
> > --
> > Jeff Ollie

Jeff Ollie