[Cialug] Share encrypted files

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 18:23:50 CST 2016

Host your own file drop server, preferably from your home. If your ISP
changes your IP address frequently, use something like DYNDNS to keep
a DNS lookup pointing at the current IP.

Use ssh and rsync to transfer files to/from the file drop. Either get
in the habit of checking daily, or send each other texts/un-encrypted
e-mails to alert when files have been dropped. These can even be
innocuous like, "Have a great day, son!"

If you are uber-paranoid, create a one time pad against which to
encrypt any messages prior to transferring them into the file drop.
That way, if the file drop gets compromised, the messages won't. If
you are slightly less uber-paranoid, use gpg with a symmetric cipher.
Just be sure to keep the keys off of the file drop system and do the
encryption/decryption on a different system.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 4:02 PM, WDM Trader <wdmtrader at gmail.com> wrote:
> My son and I would like to share / email encrypted files while he is away
> at college.  We are both using Ubuntu 14.04.  Is there an easy way to do
> this?  Can you point me to a tutorial or are there some easy tools we
> already have available in our distro?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Burklund

Tired programmer