[Cialug] Ubuntu usermode ported to Windows: a sign of the end times?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Apr 7 21:06:29 CDT 2016

> On Mar 31, 2016, at 10:53 AM, Dave Hala <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:
>
> The question is: Why bother?   Is MS trying to kill off Cygwin?

Many open source build tools are first and foremost built and tested for a *nix like terminal environment. Getting these working on Windows takes a lot of effort and many in the OSS and web developer community don’t use Windows enough to test it well.

This will make that problem go away.

I switched to Mac OS for my desktop because I wanted a few particular non-free programs that don’t work in Linux. They work on Mac and Windows, but Mac has the familiar *nix like environment I prefer.

Now Windows will too. This is a big deal for me because I’m no Apple fanboy. I’d strongly consider all the options when I buy my next computer.

--
Matthew Nuzum