[Cialug] Encryption Questions

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 20:43:51 CDT 2015

It occurs to me that "the wonders of context-sensitive memory" might be a
better avenue to pursue. Find a keyboard which closely matches that of the
target system, close your eyes, and imagine you are sitting before the
system in question.

Mind hacking may be more fruitful than brute force against the hardware.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 6:52 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Josh More <jmore at starmind.org> wrote:
>
> > There's a decent HOWTO here:
> >

> http://www.cybercrimetech.com/2014/08/how-to-brute-forcing-password-cracking.html
> >
> > However, if you typically choose mediocre to good passwords, don't
> > expect success in 2015.
> >

> It seems like if you know the rough outline of the password, you should be
> able to narrow down what you try. And indeed, I found this suggestion for
> doing that:
>

> http://technophilicmusings.blogspot.com/2011/09/cracking-luks-passwordpassphrase-when.html
>
> He uses Perl's Set::CrossProduct to try out different password
> combinations. My problem so far is that my password would have been of
> sufficient length to cause perl to run out of memory. At least, in the way
> this guy has his program written.
>
> --
> Todd

Tired programmer