[Cialug] The systemd Init System

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 11:48:04 CST 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 7:58 AM, jim kraai <jimgkraai at gmail.com> wrote:

> some will disagree here, and for some good reasons, but hear me out ...
>
> [the Do one thing very well] philosophy died hard several decades ago :-(

Huh. I was about to respond to Scott in this way, but you beat me to it,
Jim. Although I'd probably say it died soft, not hard. The remnants are
still there.

The root problem, imho, is that the "one thing" unit needs to be
refactored, updated for the modern age. And text output is great at the end
of the pipe, but it's not always great for the core utils talking to each
other, so you get things like find with the mutant arms of -exec and
-print0.

And oh how I wish someone would rewrite ls to sort better, align better,
etc.

--
Todd