[Cialug] The systemd Init System

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Wed Dec 9 15:46:02 CST 2015

So, basically, with systemd you have to learn more. Instead of learning
one pattern that works for all services ("service X configtest"), one
has to learn each particular service's idiomatic way of doing the same.

On 2015-12-09 at 15:39:28 Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> /usr/sbin/named-checkconf -z /etc/named.conf
>
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 3:31 PM, David Champion <dchamp1337 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I often use "service named configtest" to check for bugs in the zone
> > files before restarting, what's the equivalent in the systemd
> > world?
> /usr/sbin/named-checkconf -z /etc/named.conf
>
> There's nothing magically systemd about it, it's what was being run
> behind the scenes when you ran "service named configtest".
>
> From the searching I've done... that doesn't exist. Most of the
> comments
> > are somewhat hostile, asking why you'd want to do something as silly
> > as check config files.
>
> You're looking in the wrong places then.  Many services with complex
> config files have some way to do basic syntax checks:
>
> nginx -t
> apachectl configtest
__
Daniel A. Ramaley  |  Network Engineer 2
Drake Technology Services (DTS) | Drake University

T: +1 515 271-4540
F: +1 515 271-1938
E: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu