[Cialug] The systemd Init System

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Dec 9 15:39:28 CST 2015

/usr/sbin/named-checkconf -z /etc/named.conf

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 3:31 PM, David Champion <dchamp1337 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I often use "service named configtest" to check for bugs in the zone files
> before restarting, what's the equivalent in the systemd world?

/usr/sbin/named-checkconf -z /etc/named.conf

There's nothing magically systemd about it, it's what was being run behind
the scenes when you ran "service named configtest".

>From the searching I've done... that doesn't exist. Most of the comments
> are somewhat hostile, asking why you'd want to do something as silly as
> check config files.

You're looking in the wrong places then.  Many services with complex config
files have some way to do basic syntax checks:

nginx -t
apachectl configtest

--
Jeff Ollie