[Cialug] The systemd Init System

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Dec 9 15:31:45 CST 2015

Most software so far doesn't take advantage of journald's structured
logging.  I've been dealing with getting logs from all our various devices
at $DAYJOB stuffed into ElasticSearch and it's a royal pain trying to parse
all of the various log formats into something that's a little more useful.

My number one & two peeves though with logging:

1) Timestamps that don't contain a time zone (or can't reliably be assumed
to be in UTC)
2) Timestamps that don't include at least millisecond precision (nanosecond
would be better).  Modern systems can log thousands of things per second,
and once you go to more than one system you can't rely on the order of the
lines in the log file anymore.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Todd E Thomas <todd.dsm at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 'rndc status'
>
> It's a great tool and will be around until the isc.org people replace it;
> and more appropriate. However, it's an interesting question.
>
> I'd need to setup a DNS server and diddle with journald
> <https://fedoramagazine.org/systemd-using-journal/> (see the -o switch) to
> see what specifics it can cull from the chaos; I find this line
> interesting:
> MESSAGE=DHCPREQUEST on wlp2s0 to 192.168.1.254 port 67 (xid=0x6c674a2a)
>
> Lines like that (from a bind perspective) might be used for counting
> connections (with wc -l for example) but at that point, rndc is already
> doing the counting for you :-)
>
> ​TT

Jeff Ollie