[Cialug] WP issue

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Aug 28 09:12:28 CDT 2015

Yes, though you've exhausted the most common problem.

Note that WP tries to put much of it's config in the database. What you put
in the config file overrides what's in the database, but that's why you
didn't see a domain in the config file. However, the domain of the cookie
would have been wrong if that setting were off, so it's safe to assume it's
right.

The next most logical thing to check is the theme and plugins. The easy way
to do this is to move all plugins out of the plugins folder, which is
wp-content/plugins. (you could also just rename the plugins folder) To
reset the default theme, figure out what theme is currently being used and
rename it's folder. It will be in wp-content/themes or a sub folder
therein. If you rename the theme folder the default will go back to
twentyfifteen. Don't rename or remove twentyfifteeen.

If this doesn't work, then you're starting to look at more esoteric
problems. I'd probably begin by checking for .htaccess files that might be
interfering and re-downloading the Wordpress files.

I'm assuming that, because you edited the config file, you confirmed the
filesystem isn't full or the database isn't read only, right? That will
cause the exact problem you described and I've had it happen so many times
from people uploading large files and then a few days later the backup
fills up the drive.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:32 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 2015, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
>
> > Check that the domain you're using to log into the site matches the
> > domain the site is configured for. This can be a real trick because the
> > easy way to check or change this setting is to log in, which in your
> > case isn't possible.
> >
> I wangled shell access to the site, .. so editing is simple. Turns out
> there was no URL entries in wp-config.php! Added proper entries, .. no
> change.
>
> > If that doesn;t work, check, is the database read only or the file
> > system full? If you are crafty with HTTP headers, check if the cookie
> > domain for the session cookie matches the domain you're using to access
> > the site.-- Matthew
> >
> Cookie is showing the correct domain, .. bummer. Any other things to try?
>
>         Thanks!!
>
>         Lee

Matthew Nuzum