[Cialug] Web caches and SSL

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Aug 25 09:54:05 CDT 2015

I saw this in RH's OpenSource.com newsletter today: Why every website
should switch to HTTPS
http://opensource.com/business/15/8/interview-daniel-roesler-utilityapi?sc_cid=70160000000x3vkAAA

Last year I started switching all my sites over to SSL. A few of my sites
were using a Varnish web cache to speed them up. Since Varnish doesn't
terminal SSL I have been taking it out of the stack.

I miss it, though. It helped a lot, even if it did make some things more
complicated. Are the days of using a web cache in this way gone?

I know I could use a web server to terminate SSL, then proxy to Varnish
which would then proxy to the backend web server. This seems like a lot of
proxying, which is why I'm not doing it. Is there an easier/better way that
I should consider?

--
Matthew Nuzum