[Cialug] Google Chrome on Debian

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Tue Aug 25 10:10:55 CDT 2015

So, i have 2 Debian machines set up almost the same (one at home, one at
work). Both have Chrome installed. At home, Chrome works beautifully. At
work, it does an excellent job of crashing.

Right now i'm open to ideas for where else i can look for relevant
differences. I already tried searching for Chrome-related configuration
in my home directory (and if i recall correctly, most of it was in
~/.config/google-chrome). Are there any other places i might have
missed? I do not use Chrome as my primary browser, but sometimes it is
nice to have an extra browser for testing.

On 2015-08-14 at 15:10:51 David Champion wrote:
> "aaaargh"
>
> -dc
>
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 3:03 PM, kristau <kristau at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm running Debian 8 (according to /etc/debian_version), and I just
> > installed Chrome. I'm typing this message using Chrome right now and
> > having no issues so far. . .
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley
> >
> > <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
> > > Does anyone else have difficulty running Chrome on Debian? For me,
> > > it
> > > crashes frequently. By "frequently", i mean that individual tabs
> > > will
> > > usually work for 5-30 seconds before displaying the "Aw snap!"
> > > error
> > > page, and the entire browser will work for 1-2 minutes before
> > > completely closing itself.
> > >
> > > I'm running Debian Jessie (Stable). Today i tried uninstalling and
> > > purging it, then searching my home directory for any configuration
> > > remnants and deleting them, then reinstalling using a freshly
> > > downloaded package from Google. It still crashes very quickly. I
> > > have managed to disable the hardware acceleration feature, but
> > > that did not change the crashing behavior at all. Any ideas?
__
Daniel A. Ramaley  |  Network Engineer 2
Drake Technology Services (DTS) | Drake University

T: +1 515 271-4540
F: +1 515 271-1938
E: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu