[Cialug] ? Open Source Group Software

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Aug 24 14:13:53 CDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 1:03 PM, jim kraai <jimgkraai at gmail.com> wrote:

> You make a good case for WP, I'll check it out!
>
> Not kidding:  I've looked over 80k lines of Drupal 7 code--most of what has
> to execute prior to delivering a page.  It's a resource hog and its
> database use makes me sad.  Being pushed forward by security concerns and
> the short cycle between major, compatibility-affecting version updates and
> the huge lag in plugin updates--"will plugin X be a) brought into core, b)
> updated for major version N before major version N+1 gets released, or c)
> abandoned?"
>
> As an exercise in understanding, I tried to make a graph of what types
> could be included in other types without plugins.  That was enough to make
> me look seriously at Alfresco, which is a worse hog but in ways that make
> more sense to me.

I'm not going to discount your concerns with Drupal, but I do want to say
that PHP performance has improved remarkably in recent years. Particularly
with the XCache plugin installed. That and a web cache like Varnish or
nginx can cover over a multitude of performance sins.

That said, I stopped using Drupal as my first-choice a couple years ago,
primarily due to security concerns for "necessary" add-on modules. Now I'm
100% Wordpress, Django and Node.js, with Wordpress making up the bulk of it.

--
Matthew Nuzum