[Cialug] iPhone vs Android

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 10:03:26 CDT 2015

> Job's reality distortion field
> the C-levels at Gannett all have iPhones

Okay, maybe. But C-levels don't become C-levels without at least a little
bit of business sense. And this isn't just Gannett doing this, it seems to
happen all the time. There's a company called Axelos who've released an
iPhone app for learning ITIL, but not Android.

> There's only so much time and resources available to write software

Which seems like a good reason to start with Android, where you stand to
gain a bigger bang for your buck.

> with IOS, you pay once and get a piece of crap that works OK on most
devices and your support staff is a single person

But Gannett already has Android apps and therefore Android developers, in
some capacity. The Register's newspaper app is available for Android. They
could probably even take the newspaper app code and just rebrand everything
and stick in new content. Add a map for the RAGBRAI version.

This article:
http://fueled.com/blog/how-much-does-it-cost-to-develop-an-app/

says, "There is a negligible difference in price between the construction
of iOS and Android apps, although Android can sometimes cost a little more
due to the wider range of devices and operating system versions that an app
needs to be optimized for."

Other sources agree, and some put iPhone costs slightly higher.

> it's a good business decision

Which doesn't seem to be the case, which is the root of my question. I
don't see it.

--
Todd