[Cialug] Replacing failed RAID 1 drive

Rob Cook rdjcook at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 17:07:23 CDT 2014

I have a CentOS 6.5 box with 2 1.5Tb drives in a RAID 1 with LVM partitions
on top of that. One of the drives /dev/sdb has failed.

I've been googling quite a bit and I think that I should be ok following
this guide:

http://www.howtoforge.com/replacing_hard_disks_in_a_raid1_array.

Fail then remove the drive from the array, replace with similar or larger
then recreate. The one question I have is what to do with the LVM
partitons? Naively they should recreate given this is a RAID 1 so it's the
same data on both drives so I shouldn't have to worry. Or is that to
simplistic of a view?

Thoughts, suggestions?

RCook