[Cialug] DLNA

Theron Conrey theron at conrey.org
Tue Sep 30 09:37:03 CDT 2014

I completely moved all my home video consumption to a DLNA / UPnP
configuration 18ish months ago.  I started with an Apple TV with XBMC, an
xbox, and more recently proper UPnP support baked in to a newer TV.  It's
been an interesting process, but I haven't looked back.

Plex is awesome, but I ended up using minidlna as a service on my home
storage box.  Zach does has some great points about Plex, but my
configuration works for me and like anything YMMV.  (
http://theronconrey.com/home-media-server-build-04-bittorrent-sync-and-minidlna/
)

Having said that, when I realized that I wanted options to stream from my
laptop I had to find something that worked well in this model as well.  I
ended up with Rygel (
https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Projects/Rygel?action=show&redirect=Rygel).
 it work great from my laptop, and it's easy to configure and use.  While I
spent too many hours testing Plex, minidlna and a couple of other services,
Rygel is silly easy to configure for sharing from a gnome desktop.  I
assume you could get it rocking with Unity.

-theron