[Cialug] Help with Printer

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Oct 27 17:48:03 CDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 5:30 PM, chris rheinherren
<c.rheinherren at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like my old HP printer is not wanting to play nice with Linux any
> longer. It was an HP-P1006 and required a proprietary driver.
>
> So I'm looking for suggestions on a printer that I can hook up to my Linux
> box (it runs Fedora) and have it work "out of the box" but also either with
> Google Cloud print or as a true network printer as well.
>
> I would prefer to have a laser printer, I got really used to that. I don't
> need a printer that can do more than just print.
>
> Any suggestions?

Any laser printer from HP that is networkable should work great with
Linux, without any proprietary drivers.  You might try Midwest
Computer Brokers and see if they have anything used on hand.

For Google Cloud printing if you have a PC that can keep a Chrome
browser open you can use that to forward print jobs from the cloud to
the printer.

Lantronix makes a print server that can hook printers up to Google
Cloud printing but unless you use it a lot it's probably too
expensive.

--
Jeff Ollie