[Cialug] Programming telecommute

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Oct 23 21:45:36 CDT 2014

I worked from home for years and saw many people not make it. Some people
forgot to actually get work done (the distraction thing) but more often,
many people burned out because they forgot to stop working. It's easy to do
when you like your job. My wife helped with that.

I love the idea about asking your employer about it. That's a great idea.
You may want to ask some of the talent scouts in the area. The demand for
tech people is so high right now that many companies are willing to
consider tele-commuters. Midwesterner's are relative bargains because our
cost of living is quite low compared to many places in the country where
the demand is outrageous.

Some of you know that I'm a pretty gregarious, out-going person. For me,
one big challenge was having enough in-person interaction. That's really
how I got so involved in DSM Web Geeks and some of the other committees I'm
on. That was my outlet for that pent-up talking.

Matthew Nuzum