[Cialug] Programming telecommute

John Moder II moderj at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Oct 23 11:43:11 CDT 2014

I am a little biased as I am Derek's husband, but when we were traveling full-time I frequently had "Remote" work from home type positions.

When Derek took the position I was pretty concerned, as I didn't think it would fit his personality.  He does well with it, and it works for us.  I am not sure it would as well if I was home all day as well though, so it your experience will not only depend on your personal temperament, but your living situation as well.

When I was doing it, we were in the motorhome full-time.  I had it to myself all day, and made it work even with the small space.  However, I did find it difficult at times particularly with communication--  even though you have all the tools of email, skype, vid chat, etc. I found it was very easy for people to dismiss my opinion or input quickly, or not respect authority, simply because I wasn't in the same state.  I also found it was difficult developing relationships with certain people.  The biggest challenge I had, something that Derek is actually very good at, is Turning off Work, as I was Always working, and Always on-call, and had the feeling that was the expectation because of the privilege.  That being said, there were work around's, and it had major advantages, mostly allowing us to travel, and follow Derek's jobs at the time.  I did miss the personal interaction on some level as well.

My experience was with a very small organization as well.  The bank Derek works for has very specific processes and a program for at home workers.  Depending on the situation you may be forging new ground in your organization, which is sometimes challenging as well.

John