[Cialug] Mail servers (was: Hostname issue)

Brian Broughton Brian at broughtonhome.org
Wed Nov 26 14:15:26 CST 2014

I have used\tried Zimbra, the open or free version is finicky. I had
nothing but trouble getting the mail client working on Outlook as
advertised. First it would work, sync up then fail. But its web mail
interface worked, worked well. In addition on version 3.4 and 3.5 the samba
module would constantly crash bring down the domain and associated elements
such as logging in, shared directories, etc. Think of it as MS domain with
crashing AD.

 I would argue based on my experience it is not an excellent choice, at
least the free version as it is cutting edge and buggy. Support is hit or
miss in the forums, depending on the scope of the problem you can get good
help to no help.

 Lastly I was running it on a PC that is 6 years old with an early MSI MB
and a AMD based x64 single core processor and 4 GB of RAM, ran just fine
with no issues related to the hardware.