[Cialug] VSphere Converter Installer for Linux

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 14:46:25 CST 2014

True, XP and Windows 2000 were very picky about hardware changes --
especially if you changed from a single to multi-processor architecture or
back the other way.

Perhaps Lee should try a fresh XP install on the VM side, then migrate over
data, programs, etc.?

Failing that, XP should die. Grab your data off of it and upgrade to a
superior OS ;)

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Matt <matt at itwannabe.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I've tried to move a Windows install between a physical machine and
> a VM (Virtualbox) and a physical machine with one motherboard to another
> with a different mb/cpu and in both cases Windows would refuse to boot.
> There is some sort of driver/kernel magic that must be performed to change
> from one chipset to another.
>
> Linux installs are not that picky, so long as the kernel wasn't
> specifically customized for one CPU instruction set and there are modules
> installed for the new system devices.
>
> -- Matt (N0BOX)
>
> > On Nov 16, 2014, at 1:36 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, 16 Nov 2014, kristau wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't recall there ever being a VMware Converter for Linux. You can
> >> convert Linux systems with it, but I don't believe you can install the
> >> converter on Linux. If there was a linux-installable Converter ages
> ago, I
> >> doubt it is still available.
> > It was still there with 4.0.1, .. but there is nothing for 5.1.
> >
> >> Your best bet may be to perform a dd dump of the hard disk from the old
> >> hardware, then dd that image into a newly created VM with a virtual
> disk of
> >> the appropriate size. The XP OS will freak out because all of this
> hardware
> >> changed so you will need your license key to re-apply it.
> > Tried that years ago, just did not work. Windows has to be 'coerced'
> > before the conversion into dropping the hw specific drivers.
> >
> >    Lee

Tired programmer
Coding late into the night
The core dump follows