[Cialug] LAMP/installers/distros

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Nov 12 14:35:43 CST 2014

Puppet and Ansible are great, but I do want to point out that they are
probably not the best tool for someone who's not super confident installing
packages on a Linux server.

One benefit of using packages is the stability and security updates
provided by the vendor. I.e. your PHP version won't magically update over
night to an incompatible version. If your OS is supported by the vendor
(for example, Ubuntu LTS for 5 years) then you will get security updates
for packages without breaking compatibility.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Erik Anderson <erikerik at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Jeff Chapin <chapinjeff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Puppet does not require a master -- you can easily run an agent in
> > standalone mode.
>
> OK, I guess I've purged that memory from my brain. Mea culpa. :)
>
> Architecture aside, myself and my fellow engineers here have found
> Ansible code to be orders of magnitude easier to understand, debug,
> and apply.

Matthew Nuzum