[Cialug] Remedies for Verizon Behaving Badly?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Nov 6 15:18:33 CST 2014

I've been keeping my eyes on a good deal. $19 for 3 years, up to 5 devices
definitely qualifies as a good deal. I think it's hilarious how they
introduce the tool as something to "keep hackers at bay."

I guess I'm a bit out of the loop, but has bandwidth gotten so cheap that
you can make money doing this? Of that $19 I'm sure about 30% is going to
the retailer/affiliate. That means that if a customer uses more than about
$0.35 worth of bandwidth per month this is a losing deal for VPN Unlimited.

I figure one person doing 2GB a month (about what I average on my mobile)
would use up 4GB of bandwidth (since that is both incoming and outgoing for
the VPN provider) on 2 devices is 8GB a month. I'm sure a lot of people do
way more than that since a common case is streaming across regions. How
much does it take to suck up $0.35?

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Andrew Denner <linux-list at upeke.com> wrote:

> I have had luck with VPN Unlimited (https://www.vpnunlimitedapp.com) it is
> not free, however there is a special running at stack socal right now for 3
> years worth of VPN for $19 (
>
> https://stacksocial.com/sales/vpn-unlimited-premium-plan-3-years-of-hacker-protection-more
> )
>
> I had gotten it for the international connections aspect of the service but
> it puts an end to verizon being verizon.
>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Scott Yates <Scott at yatesframe.com> wrote:
>
> > I can verify for certain that PIA does prevent this problem with AT&T.
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Ron Houk <houk.ron at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I heard about this on Security Now
> > https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-479-notes.pdf
> > > .
> > >
> > > They're claiming that it is At&T as well as Verizon.  The eff article
> > says
> > > that even Straight Talk an mvno of Verizon (and AT&T) is affected.  I'm
> > > using Straight Talk on AT&T GSM network and am not (yet) affected.

> > > same

Matthew Nuzum