[Cialug] Fwd: [Area515] Des Moines Mini Maker Faire Committee

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Tue May 27 22:51:17 CDT 2014

Update on the Des Moines Maker Faire:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bailey Mader <runnerbee17 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, May 27, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Subject: [Area515] Des Moines Mini Maker Faire Committee
To: "dsmhackerspace at googlegroups.com" <dsmhackerspace at googlegroups.com>

On behalf of SCI, I forward this invitation to be on the Maker Faire
planning committee to all on the mailing list. You can contact me (
education at area515.org) or Judy if you'd like to be involved. Benefits and
responsibilities of being on the committee are attached.

Greetings from the Science Center of Iowa,

SCI is looking for a team of community leaders to help us plan the first
ever Des Moines Maker Faire. If you are familiar with Making, then you know
that it is a celebration of innovation and creation. If you are unfamiliar,
check out this video that gives you a glimpse into Making. This Maker Faire
will be the first of its kind in Central Iowa, but represents a worldwide
movement.

We plan to celebrate with a full day festival on Labor Day, Monday,
September 1, 2014. Our goal is to have over 50 exhibitors and over 2,000
attendees. Preliminary plans include:

·         Indoor and outdoor exhibitions from local and regional makers

·         Laser shows in the Star Theater Planetarium

·         Workshops on everything from carpentry to computer programming

·         Live musical performances

·         Large scale science demonstrations

We can’t do this alone. We are looking for a team of people to help us
plan, recruit for and promote this new event. The time commitment would be
approximately 20-40 hours between June and September including bi-monthly
meetings at SCI starting Tuesday, June 4 at 5:30 pm. If you are interested,
please email or call Judy Crane, Special Events and Promotions Coordinator
at SCI at 515-274-6868 ext. 238 or judy.crane at sciowa.org.

*Judy Crane*

--
Bailey Mader