[Cialug] How do I get better performance with Ubunt(13.10)

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Fri May 16 01:07:59 CDT 2014

In my experience, most Linux performance issues (as relate to processor power) tend to be found in the desktop environment.  There are, of course, other things that can cause a lot of CPU load, but certain window systems tend to really hurt on older hardware.  If you are using Ubuntu with the standard Unity desktop environment, then changing to Cinnamon or MATE might help a bit, and going to XFCE4 would help even more.  I've only used XFCE4 with Arch Linux, though, so I am not sure what you should expect from it on Ubuntu.  I have used Cinnamon and MATE on Mint Linux, which is based on Ubuntu.

You might consider trying out MATE and Cinnamon using the Mint Linux LiveCD/USB options to give you an idea of whether one of those desktop environments result in better performance on your laptop.  If one of those LiveCDs performs well, you could try installing the corresponding DE in your current version of Ubuntu to see if it helps.  If you get good performance using a Live distro, but not from using the same DE in your current install of Ubuntu, then the problem could be with Ubuntu itself or with some modification you have ade to your system after installing Ubuntu.

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer