[Cialug] SysAdmin FYI

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Tue Mar 25 17:33:01 CDT 2014

On Mar 25, 2014, at 2:57 PM, Matt Stanton <matt at itwannabe.com> wrote:

> these people really need to be more than just network gamers if our security and freedom are at stake.

That’s the heart of the matter here — you’re pigeonholing “these people” as “just” this or that based on some small sample of writing (one for which you have little context at that). I’d suggest it’s perfectly possible for someone to both be a competent and respectful professional AND sometimes use ‘lite-speak, even if you personally wouldn’t use the same language.

It’s fine that you wouldn’t use the same language, and if you were part of the target audience it would be useful for you to let the author know that their language wasn’t effective for communicating with you. But the fact that you prefer different language is not a rational basis to reduce another human being into a mere stereotype, or ascribe malice to them.

	Zach