[Cialug] SysAdmin FYI

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Tue Mar 25 16:57:40 CDT 2014

I was in my teens when the "script kiddies" flooded IRC.  I was in my late teens or early twenties when first-person shooters started (really) becoming popular (not really counting Wolfenstien 3D or Doom 1 or 2... more like Quake, which I believe was the first to allow the player to actually jump over things).  I was even in a gaming clan until I was 30, and only quit because of my inability to play the games after my wreck.  So it's not that I don't "understand" the culture, or that I wasn't ever a part of it.  It's that that culture doesn't exist outside of fantasy.

All of the gamer slang involves making fun of someone for losing a match or being killed.  Stuff like "pwnage" or "epic fail" doesn't denote any respect for the people you are attacking.  Going after a law-abiding sysadmin, then doing a virtual teabagging over him is not respectful.  Yelling "pwned!" when you hack some edge server for some terrorist network doesn't convey the fact that these people actually go out and murder hundreds of our soldiers a year in "The Real World"... especially when most of that hacking probably doesn't even turn up any useful intel.

This guy, in particular, has no respect for the job he is doing as far as I can tell, and these people really need to be more than just network gamers if our security and freedom are at stake.  In the gaming community, no one likes these people anyway.  They are just loud-mouthed people who make the game less enjoyable to play, just as the l33t-spe4kers made IRC nearly unbearable.  Why let them have all our email to read?

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer