[Cialug] Raspberry Pi hacking @ Area515

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Mon Mar 10 18:02:04 CDT 2014

I just went to the FCC's website and found a site built specifically for answering public questions on setting up a radio for transmitting on the AM or FM broadcast bands.  There is a "Part 15" section that allows for the unlicensed use of these two bands for transmitters that use less 0.05W or less on the AM broadcast band, or 0.01uW (yes, microwatts) or less on the FM broadcast band (the rule actually states a field strength reading measured as 250uV/m at 3 meters from the antenna).

The website on which I found this information (via a link to a PDF on part 15 transmitters) is here:
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/low-power-broadcast-radio-stations#UNLICENSED

There are a few frequencies that are commonly used by in-car FM MP3/CD player "adapters" that you might consider using, simply because those frequencies are chosen to avoid interference with broadcast stations.  They tend to be at the borders of the broadcast range, and are frequencies avoided by broadcast stations since they are far from the "center" of the broadcast range where most receiver's antennas are tuned by default.

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer