[Cialug] Wi-fi recommendations

Scott Yates Scott at yatesframe.com
Mon Mar 10 11:53:34 CDT 2014

I have one further point to make in all these comparisons.

Stability has been spotty among a LOT of the different brands I have tried.
 Typically d-link, belkin, and a LOT of linksys routers require periodic
power cycling.

I will say that netgear appears to be an exception, along with Cisco, and a
company called tp-link.  I am sure there are others, but as you noted, most
people expect their devices to run without thinking about it after the
initial config.

Here is a link to the TP-LINK router I bought and have been VERY happy with
in case you want to check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UBU8IE

If you don't want to buy a more expensive Cisco, and are uneasy with
TP-Link (I had not heard of them myself, but DO like their gear), then I
would recommend doing your best to find a router that supports DD-WRT, as
it is probably the most likely to be stable, run on more inexpensive
hardware and has a large community.