[Cialug] Wi-fi recommendations

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 11:15:28 CDT 2014

Not all WAP's are created equal. I work with a lot of them - built in to
modems, routers, and stand-alone, I can tell you that some just can't
handle being in a target rich environment as well as others. I'm fairly
certain it's firmware and not hardware related, as 90% of all DSL modems
run the same family of chipset, but not all of them behave the same in
regards to WiFi.

My condo is a pretty good example, I'm surrounded by multi-tenant buildings
and businesses, I can see dozens of my neighbor's SSID's. I've tested
various WiFi there, and the DD-WRT / Asus router is about as good as I've
seen for performance and stability.

-dc