[Cialug] Wi-fi recommendations

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 10:04:01 CDT 2014

I *JUST* bought a new router, and the number one feature I looked for was
DD-WRT support. After using it, I can't imagine having to be stuck with a
vendor's software features or UI.

Pretty much anything that supports DD-WRT will support all the listed
devices -- and if it doesn't yet, there is usually a quick fix coming. One
of my favorite features is the ability to set up virtual APs -- so in the
*very* rare case I had a device that would not play nice (I had a wireless
printer at one point that only supported WEP and I was already using WPA),
I spun up a virtual AP with MAC filters and WEP for the printer, and did
not have to change everything for all the other devices already connected.

Jeff

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:57 AM, kristau <kristau at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've had good luck with Netgear equipment. I've not had as good an
> experience with Linksys, Belkin, or DLink.
>

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley <
> daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
> > wrote:
>
> > My home wireless network is based around Apple Airport hardware.
> > Unfortunately, it has recently come to my attention that Airports do not
> > work with all devices. I have had no problem getting laptops made by
> > each of Apple, Dell, and HP to work. My Android phone, a Galaxy S3, also
> > works perfectly. But a Kindle tablet will not connect, nor will a
> > Chromecast. From asking Google i found that it might be possible to
> > connect a Kindle to an Airport, if you downgrade the Airport firmware to
> > a specific version, turn off 802.11n, and sacrifice a chicken on the eve
> > of a blue moon.
> >
> > So... my question is, what would people recommend for a home wireless
> > network that supports all devices?
> >
> > __
> > Daniel A. Ramaley
> > Network Engineer 2
> >
> > Dial Center 122, Drake University
> > 2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
> > Tel: +1 515 271-4540
> > Fax: +1 515 271-1938
> > E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu

> --
> Tired programmer
> Coding late into the night
> The core dump follows

Jeff Chapin
President, CedarLug, retired
President, UNIPC, "I'll get around to it"
President, UNI Scuba Club
Senator, NISG, retired