[Cialug] VirtualBox P2V

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Thu Jul 31 16:05:10 CDT 2014

On Jul 31, 2014, at 1:59 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

>> My favorite P2V tool is `dd`.
>>
> Guess you don't do a lot of Windows machines? The problem is that it KNOWS
> when you've been bad and switched disks/controllers/CPU, etc. and there
> has to be a way to boot the machine without using a restore disk.

I haven’t done a lot — maybe 2 dozen over the past 6 years — but I haven’t had any problems outside a system that had hardware-keyed encryption (where I then used on online P2V tool to do the copy). It sometimes wants to be re-activated but I haven’t ever been unable to boot the image; you’ll note that I said you could expect the same amount of compatibility as changing motherboards.

	Zach