[Cialug] New members looking for test laptop

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 17:14:16 CST 2014

According to distrowatch.com (a good resource for looking at different
Linux and BSD distros), the top 10 page hits are:

RankDistributionH.P.D*1Mint <http://distrowatch.com/mint>3581[image: <]2
Debian <http://distrowatch.com/debian>1894[image:
1890[image: >]4Mageia <http://distrowatch.com/mageia>1524[image:
1391[image: >]6openSUSE <http://distrowatch.com/suse>1332[image: >]7
PCLinuxOS <http://distrowatch.com/pclinuxos>1101[image:
<]8Manjaro<http://distrowatch.com/manjaro>
1022[image: >]9Arch <http://distrowatch.com/arch>946[image:
>]10Puppy<http://distrowatch.com/puppy>
879[image: >]
I use a variety of CentOS, Mageia, Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu for various
purposes.

As I mentioned before, Mageia has a good mix of new features but still runs
good on older hardware, like something without a PAE kernel like a Pentium
Mobile, as you can see it does have quite a bit of popularity.

Ubuntu will run OK on semi-old hardware if you don't use the Unity desktop,
try something like KDE or XFCE, but the default install requires PAE
support.

-dc