[Cialug] New members looking for test laptop

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Fri Jan 24 16:53:24 CST 2014

Mr. Denner recently gave a presentation at a LUG meeting on the
differences in the philosophy and setup of several of the most popular
Linux distributions.  You may be able to search the LUG mailing list
archive for an email with a link to his pdf/powerpoint(style)
presentation.

Some basic comparisons:
-----------------------
Debian - Focuses on providing absolutely free (Libre) software
packages.

Ubuntu - Based on Debian, but focuses on a user-friendly interface.

Mint - Based on Ubuntu, focuses on an even more user-friendly interface
and includes commonly-installed license-restricted software packages by
default (i.e. MP3 decoders/encoders and similar non-free licensed codecs
that are popularly installed on Debian or Ubuntu after the normal
install).
Fedora - a Redhat-based distribution that uses cutting-edge versions of
software packages.  serves basically as a testbed for packages that are
going to be released for RHEL once deemed stable by Redhat.

RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) - a Redhat distribution aimed at
enterprise customers

Centos - A distribution based on Redhat... not sure if it is based on
RHEL, but it is aimed at the same market

Arch - certainly not for the beginner! aimed at the Linux expert who
wants a distribution that has a powerful package manager, but doesn't
include a lot of intrusive configuration customizations.  all packages
must be personally configured after installation, giving the admin the
ability to set the install up exactly as he/she wishes.  packages can
also be easily compiled from source, though Arch is aimed only at
machines that use i686 or x86_64 hardware (I believe this consists of
Pentium 4 chips or later)

Gentoo - Also not for beginners.  Every package that is installed is
compiled from source code on the target machine.  If you want to get an
extra 1% performance out of your software by compiling everything you
install for a week straight, this is the distro for you.  (search Google
for "Gentoo is for ricers"... an extremely entertaining read) ;)

There are hundreds of other distros, but these are the top selections
that I can think of off the top of my head.

-- Matt (N0BOX)